Since Ford introduced its MyKey feature, many of its customers have been able to enjoy the many safety and control options it has given them.
However, there are some people who prefer to have the feature off, here’s a guide on turning off MyKey without the admin key.
What Is The Admin Key?
For those who don’t know, the admin key is simply a Ford key without any driving restrictions.
Only one key can be programmed in a restricted mode, on the other hand, the admin key is not programable, and other unprogrammed keys become the admin key.
Without an admin key, you won’t be able to create a new MyKey account, program MyKey settings, or disable the MyKey feature.
How To Get Your Ford Admin Key?
After you initially set up MyKey, you’ll have to label the admin key for it to be distinguishable from the other MyKey.
When the admin key is connected to your Ford, you won’t have any driving restrictions and should be able to access the MyKey menu settings.
If you have the admin key you’ll have the option to “Clear MyKey,” as one MyKey can’t disable another.
If you don’t see the “Clear MyKey” option, it means you don’t have the admin key and you’ll need one to be programmed by a Ford service center.
If you do get a new key, it’s important to have any other MyKeys cleared to ensure the safety of your vehicle.
If you’re still unable to get the admin key, then keep reading to find out how to turn off MyKey without it.
How To Turn Off MyKey Ford Without Admin Key: Step By Step
As you know by now, disabling MyKey or changing settings is generally easiest with the master key but if you don’t have it, you can still do so by using a third-party program.
So, to do this you’ll need to download FORScan and have the programmed MyKey, after which you can follow the instructions below:
- Turn on the vehicle.
- Connect the vehicle to FORScan.
- Start the PCM KOER program, you may have to wait a bit.
- If it uses a keyless system, remove the MyKey that has been programmed from the vehicle. For a standard car key, you can wrap foil around the key fob to block the transponder.
- Switch off the car’s engine.
- Turn on the ignition but don’t start the engine.
- Use the buttons on the steering wheel to open the main menu screen. Simply press the left arrow button.
- Navigate to “Settings” and then select the “OK”.
- Once in settings, navigate to the “MyKey” options and press “OK”.
- Scroll until you see “Clear MyKey,” select and hold “OK” until you see a message saying “All MyKeys Cleared”.
Receiving the “All MyKeys Cleared” message indicates that all MyKeys are cleared and will no longer function.
If need be, you’ll then have to reprogram a MyKey or set up a new one.
Please note that this serves as a mere guideline, if any of the following steps are unclear, then contact Ford Motor Company for further assistance or visit a nearby Ford service center.
How To Reprogram MyKey
Luckily, reprogramming a MyKey is a relatively straightforward process:
- Insert the MyKey into the vehicle’s ignition or backup slot if it’s a push-button start.
- Allow the electrics to come on and for the vehicle’s display screen to boot.
- Navigate to the main menu and then select “Settings”.
- Once in “Settings” scroll to “MyKey” and then select “Create MyKey”.
- Press “OK” when prompted to do so, after which you’ll have to wait a few minutes for the reprogramming sequence to complete.
Will Disconnecting The Battery Disable MyKey?
Luckily for those who aren’t the most tech-savvy, disconnecting your battery and giving it a couple of minutes can indeed reset the MyKey system.
This is typically the reason why MyKey stops working after a car’s battery has been replaced.
After a replacement, you may also need to reprogram MyKey for it to start working again.
More Ford MyKey Facts
Will buying new admin keys help?
This won’t be of much help in terms of accessing or disabling Ford MyKey, as admin keys require special programming which can only be done at certified Ford Motor Company service centers.
Which models is the Ford MyKey feature available on?
At the time of writing, Ford MyKey is only available on newer Ford models: 2022 and 2023 models.
If you want to know which specific models have the feature, then check out Ford’s official website for further details or consult your local dealership.
Is SmartKey different from MyKey?
SmartKey is a remote feature of a key fob that typically comes with a car and allows for remote start and operation.
It differs from the MyKey technology in that MyKey primarily centers on driver-assist features, whereas, SmartKey is largely about controlling the vehicle remotely.
Note that a MyKey can still also be a SmartKey.
What is FORScan?
FORScan is a diagnostic program that can help drivers analyze their vehicle, particularly the engine, to identify issues and possible solutions to resolve the issues.
It only works with select vehicles and some other models.
FORScan is available for Windows OS and has a mobile version for both Android and IOS devices, called FORScan Lite.
Can MyKey limit vehicle power?
With the administrator MyKey, drivers can control a wide variety of features, including how fast the vehicle can be driven, a feature which is particularly useful for learner drivers and encouraging safe driving habits.
If you place a top speed restriction on an eligible vehicle, the vehicle will play a chime sound and issue a warning when the driver reaches the chosen speed limit.